As the title states, the object of this trial is to establish an effective protocol that parents can use to treat their children’s PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Diagnosis Associated with Streptococcal Infections) symptoms.
The trial will last two months and at the end of this time, the results will be collated to discover if it has achieved it’s aim. If we are successful, I will publish the protocol on this site to help other health practitioners and parents. Hopefully people will add their experience of using it to the comments section to build our group knowledge.
What is PANDAS?
(this following explanation and symptom list is ‘borrowed’ from this excellent PANDAS site)
“The hallmark trait for PANDAS is sudden acute and debilitating onset of intense anxiety and mood lability (‘something that is constantly changing) accompanied by Obsessive Compulsive-like issues and/or Tics in association with a streptococcal-A (GABHS) infection that has occurred immediately prior to the symptoms. In some instances, the onset will be 4 to 6 months after a strep infection because the antibiotics did not fully eradicate the bacteria. Many pediatricians do not know the latent variability of strep – Rheumatologists and Streptococcal Experts do.”
Symptom onset includes Primary ONSET of OCD* and/or Tics
along with at least two other following symptoms:
- Tics or other abnormal movements
- Severe separation anxiety, Generalized anxiety
- Irritability, Emotional lability, Aggression, Personality Changes
- ADHD, Inability to concentrate
- Sensory sensitivities
- Deterioration in learning abilities and school performance
- Developmental and age regression (inc. Deterioration in handwriting)
- Sleep and night time difficulties
- Urinary Frequency or Daytime or night-time secondary enuresis
*OCD may present as severe anxiety
How the trial will be structured
- Recruitment Phase: I am aiming for at least 15 participants.
- Initial Questionnaire and Skype interview (lasting 20 – 30 minutes) – This is to establish a base line for the person’s symptoms and the most appropriate remedy(s) for the trial.
- Prescription Phase: Each participant will be given a prescription to order from a homeopathic pharmacy (full details on how to do this will be given).
- Protocol Phase: Each participant will take the remedies as prescribed for 2 months.
- Final Questionnaire: Each participant will be asked to fill in an online questionnaire to record their experiences of the trial.
- Publishing Phase: The results and (hopefully) the effective protocol will be published.
All suggestions gratefully received! I really hope this trial is going to offer something really useful to the PANDAS community
Disclaimer: This is not a Clinical Trial